2020 Big Bang: NASA Overnight Camp
(Updated info 1/15)
The upcoming Big Bang event this year is at Space Center Houston. Full details and RSVP link are below.
Who: All Pack 502 Scouts and their families are invited to attend
What: Space Center Houston Family Campout Overnighter
When: January 18-19 4:00pm – 10:30am
Where: Space Center Houston, 1601 E NASA Pkwy, Houston, TX 77058
- Important Camp Info
- Schedule of Events
- NASA Health Form
- BSA Health Form Parts A and B
Image Release Form(no longer needed)
The cost is $69.95 per person, and may be paid for with available funds in Scout accounts. RSVP closes on December 1 at 8pm. Payments must be received in full by December 3 to guarantee your spot. No refunds or RSVP changes can be made after this time. All parents/guardians and siblings are welcome. Participants must be at least 5 years of age. The fee includes overnight stay in the exhibit halls, two meals (dinner and breakfast), after-hours experience, a variety of hands-on educational STEM activities related to different NASA fields, and the second-day visit to Space Center Houston including a private tram tour of NASA Johnson Space Center and general admission to Space Center Houston for the remainder of the day. “I Camped In Space” shirts and patches are also available at additional cost: T-shirts $15 and Patches $7.
What to Bring
- Back packs, duffle bags or small roller suitcases “Carry-on” size luggage is ideal.
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad (sleeping pad goes under your sleeping bag) Sleeping pads are highly recommended as we do not allow air mattresses and the floor is carpeted, but still hard.
- Pillows and extra blankets The air conditioning does get cold, even in summer, so it is always a good idea to bring an extra blanket.
- Basic toiletries Toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, and hair brushes are ideal and wet wipes are a great way to freshen up since we do not have showers.
- Clothing Comfortable, casual clothes and good walking shoes are recommended. Remember to bring a jacket or sweater no matter what time of year you are coming.
- Charging devices Charging banks are a great idea and allow you to charge your device without an outlet. There are some outlets available in the sleeping area as well as charging stations around the center but you are not guaranteed a sleeping location near an outlet.
- Money for gift shop
- Food/snacks If you have food allergies or are unable to partake in the provided meals, you may bring your own. However, NO food or drinks can be consumed in sleeping areas.
- Medical forms Medical forms for every scout and adult are required to be brought to the Camp-In. The adult chaperone should have them readily available if needed for an emergency.
What NOT to Bring
Please keep in mind that you will be sleeping with other groups and families, we ask that you show the same courtesy and respect to them that you would like them to show you. Think of it as an indoor-camping trip and the camp site, just like in the forest, has a few rules so that everyone has a safe and enjoyable time.
- A Tent We are indoor camping at NASA, and outdoor gear is not needed.
- Air mattresses and cots The only exception to this rule is if you or someone in your party has a medical condition. If you did not already request to bring one in the comments section of your registration, please email the Program Coordinator.
- Glow sticks (flash lights and phone lights are ok)
- Electrical hair appliances (blow dryers, straighteners, curling irons etc.)
Dinner and breakfast are buffet style service, one serving per person, seconds offered after everyone has been served. Menu is vegetarian and gluten free friendly. Snack time happens during the activities portion of the evening. We offer a beverage and snack to every camper.
- Taco Bar
- Ground Beef or Chicken
- Lettuce and Toppings
- Churros and cookies
- Mini pretzels
- Fruit salad
- Scrambled eggs
- French Toast sticks/margarine/maple syrup
- Sausage patties
- Vanilla yogurt with Granola
- Orange juice, apple juice or water for scouts. Coffee, soda and hot water will be available for adults only.