Fall Field Day 10/24
Our field day replacement for the fall campout this year is coming up this Saturday at McGimsey Scout Park. Here are the final details and reminders:
- COVID Waiver completed
- Health Form completed (NOT part C)
- Family Talent Survey completed
- Masks – everyone must wear a mask covering their mouth and nose, except for during dinner and s’mores. Everyone is expected to social distance during times masks cannot be worn.
Everyone attending must have a completed health form, and a completed COVID waiver (see attached). For the health form, you do NOT need part C. Please turn in upon arrival. For the COVID waiver, you can list all family members attending on one sheet, and all adults can sign the one sheet.
THINGS TO BRING:
- Scouting shirts for activity uniforms (Class-B) are welcome. Any pack t-shirt or other scouting tee would be great. Field uniforms (Class-A) are not needed for this event.
Jackets as it will be cooler than it has been lately
- Camp chairs, or blankets to use to sit on the ground
- Refillable water bottles (we will have a cooler of ice water)
- Sun protection (i.e. hat, sunglasses, sun screen)
- Bug spray
- Wagons (optional, but might be useful to not have to carry everything)
- Closed-toe shoes
- FLASHLIGHTS – Note, it will be dark when we are done, and the Scout Park does not have much lighting. But it’s a lot of fun for the Scouts to get to use their flashlights. 😊
- Band Aids (We’ll have the pack’s main first aid kit, but you might want to bring just a few band aids in case of any minor scrapes)
- If you haven’t already paid your Pack dues, you can do so tomorrow. Dues are $130.
REMINDERS – SCOUT PARK RULES
- Speed limits are strictly enforced at 10 MPH (the slower the better)
- No driving on the grass
- No parking off of designated parking areas
- No pets
- No smoking
- Leave it better than you found it, including restrooms
- No fireworks
When you arrive, you’ll come in through the gate by the ranger’s house. Please park in the OA building parking lot off to your right when you come in (gravel parking lot, just past the ranger’s house.) At the back of the lot is the exit road from the campsites. Please proceed walking down the exit road, and the Gilwell Field will be on your left. A map is attached, and the path to the field is highlighted. There is no parking available past the OA building parking lot.
Please check in at the welcome table. Reminder, everyone must have a completed COVID waiver and health form turned in. I will be collecting those at the welcome table.
We’ll begin with our opening flag ceremony at 3:00. We will need 3 scout volunteers to help with the ceremony, please let me know if your scout is interested. We will be rotating through 4 activity stations throughout the evening, and the scouts/siblings will be broken into groups of no more than 5.
- Building with Bamboo – learning knots and lashings
- Craft – make a halloween spider out of pipecleaners and beads, and build a catapult out of popsicle sticks. How far can you launch small items using your catapult? What changes can be made to the catapult to make it launch items farther?
- S’mores, campfire program skits and songs
- Games – ball toss, potato sack relay, bucket toss, mummy bowling, “ghost” relay
Each station has multiple activities to keep the scouts engaged, and to keep activities age appropriate. Scouts will visit two stations, then pizza will be served around 5:00, then visit two more stations. We’ll have a closing to allow scouts to perform their skits if they wish, and to make additional s’mores to use up any remaining supplies. Glow sticks will be provided.