Dues – A Scout Earns Their Way
Funding the Scout Account
The Scout account can be funded in a combination of two ways:
- Scouts participate in annual popcorn fundraiser
- Families may provide funds to the pack treasurer to be placed in the Scout’s individual account.
How It Works
- Scout accounts will have any earned popcorn commissions credited to the account
- Funds remaining at the end of the program year will roll into the next program year
- Scout accounts may be used for the following:
- Any pack expense
- Any Alamo Area Council event
- Uniform shirt, pants, socks, hat, and belt are eligible only in the first year joining the pack, and when the Scout transitions to Webelos in 4th grade.
- Boy’s Life magazine
- Field trips, such as the previous NASA and Lexington trips. Funds may be used to pay for Scout and any immediate family members attending.
- If an Arrow of Light has funds remaining at the end of the program year, those funds may continue to be used until July 31 of the program year when the Arrow of Light award is earned. (i.e. the funds may be used for a Scouts BSA camp if submitted by July 31)
- Any funds remaining in a Scout account after July 31, and where the family no longer has any Scouts remaining the pack for the following year, will be allocated to the pack’s general fund.
- Funds will not be distributed to a Scouts BSA Troop
- Funds will not be distributed to the Scout
- Exception – if the account was only funded by parent contributions, the funds will be returned at the end of the last program year. Funds from popcorn sales cannot be distributed out.
- Families with more than one Scout in the Pack
- Each Scout, including sibling Scouts, will have their own Scout Account
- Each Scout’s portion of the popcorn commission will go to their separate accounts
- Funds can be moved between sibling accounts, and will be done automatically if a Scout’s account would otherwise go negative
- When the oldest Scout ages out of the Pack, any remaining funds in that Scout’s account at July 31 will be transferred to the sibling’s account
- In the event there is a circumstance not covered in the above guidelines in how the Scout account may be used, the Pack’s Key 3 Leadership Team (Charter Organization Representative, Pack Committee Chair, and Cubmaster) will review the issue and make the final determination.
When a Scout participates in the popcorn sale, a minimum of 30% of their sales proceeds are allocated to their individual Scout account. These funds are used to cover expenses such as their annual dues to Council, program expenses, etc.